Probiotics in skin care can bring amazing results! We have developed our own unique probiotic culture and below are some frequently asked questions. Click on the question to see the answer.
• Probiotics are a common name for different strains of good bacteria/microbes.
• Inside and on our skin there are thousands of microbes (live bacteria). On average we have 19 strains of good bacteria on our skin. In these strains, there are thousands of different bacterial species, and each of the species consist of billions of bacteria.
• These good bacteria produce various peptides, amino acids and other nutrients that our skin can benefit of and protect itself with. A good flora of probiotics will also contribute to a good, slightly acidic pH on the skin (Optimal pH in the skin is 4.2 - 5.0)
• Probiotic: Active microbes or microbes in a ‘sleeping state’, that awaken when in contact with the prebiotics.
• Prebiotic: Food for the active probiotics.
• Postbiotics: Microcells from dead probiotics that the living probiotics use as building blocks and fuel.
• Both prebiotics and postbiotics are vital for probiotic microbes to function well. The microbes feed on prebiotics, and use building blocks from postbiotics.
The microbiome is an ecosystem of microorganisms that live on the skin. Each person has their own unique microbiome and it consists of billions of bacteria and other microorganisms living on the skin.
Each person has its own distinctive combination of these microorganisms - our personal microbiome. And it is crucial for our life.
• The balance and condition of the microbes will affect the skin's appearance and condition.
• When the good bacteria fail to survive, the skin's microbiome becomes out of balance and researchers think that this can cause skin problems such as acne, eczema and sensitive skin.
• Probiotics in skincare adds good bacteria that can assist the skin's microbiome. Balance is restored and the skin's condition becomes healthy again.
1. The main reason we use probiotics is to efficiently ferment and break down important ingredients in our products to optimize them for the skin problem we want to solve.
2. We also use prebiotics and postbiotics to assist your existing probiotics/microbiome as much as possible.
3. Another reason we use probiotics in our products is to let the active, good bacteria assist the skins microbiome to create balance and healthy skin.
We have used probiotics in our products since 2015. We have developed our own unique probiotic culture that is perfectly synchronized in our skincare products. We use microbes from 12 different bacteria strains:
1. Acetobacter xylinoides
2. Acetobacter ketogenum
3. Saccharomycodes ludwigii
4. Saccharomycodes apiculatus
5. Schizosaccharomyces pombe
7. Saccharomyces cerevisiae
11. Gluconacetobacter kombuchae
12. Zygosaccharomyces kombuchaensis
Our probiotics are unique and our special culture is one of a kind.
• Probiotic fermentation is a unique process that Marina Miracle uses to reach the exact desired effect and nutritional content of the skincare product. When fermenting an ingredient in a probiotic culture, you will get the best of both worlds.
• The process often starts with different organic sprouted seeds, herbs, fruits, berries, and plants. When the raw material is ready for fermentation, we blend it with our probiotic culture, which consists of a total of 12 bacterial species. During the fermentation process, which takes at least 30 days, the active ingredients in the raw material are converted into a ferment. This is carefully filtered and treated, leaving a probiotic fermented juice containing both pre-, pro-, and post-biotic together with enzymes, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from the raw material.
• In this way, the skin receives, not only probiotics that can support the microbiome, but also nutrition that penetrates the skin more easily, and so the skin is strengthened, improved, and more balanced.
• The probiotic fermented juice contains both nutrition from the plant and all the good bacteria that will balance and strengthen the skin barrier.
• Our unique probiotic juices also contain loads of antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins, peptides, AHA acids and amino acids that are naturally created by the live probiotics.
After performing several tests on our own products and other brands products on the market at external approved laboratories, we learn that the number of live microbes per gram (CFU) will always be very variable. (In all the tests performed, Marina Miracle had the highest values.)
Although the same laboratory can measure our product to 6 million microbes per gram, it is clear when we test our products and other brands' products, that the CFU will vary greatly and not have the same amount of live microbes as promised. Marina Miracle has therefore concluded that we do not want to make a promise of such a specific amount per product as it would be misleading marketing.
We believe that the focus on the number of microbes per gram only shifts focus from a much more important issue. To help balance your symbiosis; your complex microbiome, you need to replenish as many of these good bacteria as possible and support your existing microbiome with pre- and postbiotics. Therefore, we use probiotics from as many as 12 strains together with pre and postbiotics.