You may have already read a little about the chemical nicknamed MI and the damage it can do? But what is this drug really and how serious can it be? In this article we are going in an easy and short way answer these questions and show you how to stay away from it.
Facts about MI
Full name: Methylisothiazolinone
A preservative for use in cosmetics.
Products containing MI has an allergic reaction rate of 10% (which is very high).
Those who have an allergic reaction, are often seriously ill and need medical attention.
The skin swells up, gets blisters, large wounds and rashes.
Allergy against MI has almost become an epidemic because so many have reacted to the drug.
MI have no useful properties to the skin, it is used only for extending the shelf life of the product.
MI destroys the cells and can damage nerves. In one case, a breeze athletic woman had such a severe reaction that the entire head and face swelled up so much that she had trouble breathing and had to have immediate help.
Another British woman was on holiday in Spain and used a sunscreen with MI, her skin became so inflamed that she had to lie for two days at the hospital where she was given steroids and antihistamines to calm the allergic reaction.
It is clear that we need to keep away from this chemical. The big cosmetic manufacturers are working to get this drug out of the products, but there are still a lot of it on the market. Products such as cream, shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste etc. may contain MI. The safest way to find out if the product you are using contains MI is to read the ingredient list for the word: Methylisothiazolinone, MIT or MI.
We do NOT use this dangerous chemical substances in our products. We use absolutely no chemical preservatives in our products, only natural preservatives like vitamin E, tee tree oil and other oils that are known to have an antibacterial effect. Therefore, our products are a perishable commodity. Yet they have a shelf life of about 12 months after you have received the product from us.